You see, you get married and you feel like you have to start doing all these “family” things, like sending out family Christmas cards, or buying a real, life-size Christmas tree. It’s all about appearances, right? If you had asked me a couple of years ago what it would be like to be married, I would have cited dreams of peaches and cream, strawberries and roses, cupcakes and frosting. If you asked me today, I might give you a slightly different narrative.
Mostly, it is pretty great. Don’t get me wrong. But there’s also all that stuff called life that comes along with it.
Boy, did this year have a lot of that stuff. The year 2015 has been a ride and a half—and I hate rollercoasters. It’s been a blast, it really has, but:
○ We moved 3 times
○ We broke down twice, in 2 different cars
○ I walked away from a dream graduate program
○ We’ve started 5 different jobs between the 2 of us
○ Kelsey spent a night in the ER
○ Kelsey had outpatient surgery
○ We earned $1000s in medical bills
And sadly, Kelsey suffered two miscarriages. You can read about the first one here. The second was just recently in December.
Wow! Am I right?
But we have also had a lot of fun, and a lot of really incredible experiences.
○ We’ve lived in 3 stunning cities (Durham NC, Nashville TN, and Salt Lake City, UT)
○ Studied and worked at 4 beautiful and prestigious universities
○ Kelsey earned her Bachelor’s degree with a super nerdy GPA
○ Kelsey landed a top internship with the #1 journalism company in the state of UT (it’s paid, comes with a free TRAX pass and a Mac computer!)
○ We saved a bunch of money for our home deposit
○ I started doing something I love and increased my salary by over 25% in one year
We also adopted Bernie. Aside from the occasional up-chuck, he’s settling in well!
And finally, in a world with ever-increasing refugee displacement, we felt lucky to have a roof over our heads, food in the refrigerator, and gifts under the tree this year.